The Sami People
I ran across a wiki page for a Thor like god today who is named Horagalles. I thought it was interesting because the images depict a wooden log or post with human like imagery carved into it. The status also contains a hammer similar to Thor Odinson, as well as spikes embedded in it’s head. Then I read who actually worshipped the Horagalles, and it was a people who I’ve never heard of before. The Sami are their name.
The Sami, or also referred to as Lapps or Lapland, are an indigenous peoples who live in the northern parts of northern Norway, Sweden, Finland, and the Kola Peninsula of Russia. I won’t try to reinvent the wheel by giving every little details about these people, you can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people. I want to lists the similarities in their religious beliefs.
- Shamans are the main religious leaders among the Sami, but the role is practiced in varying ways.
- the Sami people are polytheists (multiple gods/goddesses).
- The Shamans looks similar to the Norse priests (Gothi)
- the Sami also believe many things in nature (animals, rocks, trees, etc) have a souls.
- the Sami were heavily inspired by bears and bear imagery.
- They had a Bear Cult. Was this similar to the Viking Berserkers?
A list of their Deities:
- Horagalles (thunder god similar to Thor)
- Ipmil (the creator god)
- Pajonn (another thunder god)
- Ravgga (fish god and oracle)
- Waralden Olmai
- Beaivi (Sun goddess)
- Luot-chozjik (protector of the reindeer herds)
- Mano (Moon goddess)
- Rana Niejta (fertility goddess)
I will have to do more investigating on these people. I’m wondering if the Norse people borrowed their beliefs from the Sami, or was it the other way around. If you have any comments leave them in the comments section below.